Diary of a vegan schoolgirl

Pages

Friday 9 August 2013

Peta and veganism

I am finding it very common for people to associate veganism with peta. I think peta does a great job with getting the message across with animal cruelty, but sometimes, they take things a bit too far. For example, a few months ago peta brought out an advertisement telling people not to buy dogs from breeders, but get their dogs from shelters.

The problem with this is that not everybody wants a shelter dog. Earlier this year when my family were buying a dog we first looked at the shelter, but they were all larger or aggressive breeds. My parents agreed they wanted a small dog as we didn't have much room in our house. In the end we bought a miniature schnauzer from an experienced breeder in castle ford and we don't regret it. Anyway, this advertisement is also very upsetting as people who already have dogs from breeders, particularly young children, will never look at their dog the same again.
Another example of peta going too far is accusing Mario, a popular video game, of promoting fur. Seriously peta?! I loved this game as little kid, I actually still play it occasionally!
The other day I decided to have a go at this game they created. I played it for about 5 minutes and came to a conclusion... Peta is attention seeking. Peta is definitely out for attention in anyway they can get it. I still somewhat support peta for its effort to abolish animal cruelty, but c'mon, Mario?!




1 comment:

  1. I disagree. Pet a do a fine job in promoting vegan ism and alleviating animal cruelty. If Mario wears fur then it's right that peta bring attention to this. You should look at shelter dogs first.

    ReplyDelete